Monday, December 18, 2023

Because he suggested

 In the fall of 2022, Hurricane Fiona hammered Prince Edward Island.  Farm buildings were heavily damaged or flattened.  Green Gable Alpacas in the Tyne Valley lost fences and roofs and people knew they had to help.

I not only ordered Janet's fabulous socks, I ordered a lot of toys -- little alpacas -- and gave them away.  They are still available and I have to say they are extremely well made and adorable.  Here is the link.

https://greengablealpacas.com/collections/toys-gifts/products/alpaca-plush-toys?variant=36108009963675

Last year for Christmas I knitted up hats and scarves for my grandson to adorn his liquor bottles he bought when he was visiting Denmark.  They will never be opened.  The pattern is called North Pole Pals and it is from Garn Studio in Oslo, Norway.  Did you know Garn translated means yarn?  The Great Dane told me that.  Both languages are close

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=6399&cid=19

This year our grandson asked me to knit up more hats and scarves for the alpacas.  No problem.  I made up the hat as the instructions said, but I optd to head to Michae3ls to buy the one-nc pompom.  So much asier.  A bit of hot glue and it will stay put.

I used worsted weight yarn -- #4 -- and 4.5mm dpn (double pointed needles)  It is a size down from the size suggested by the pattern maker.

The scarf is different.  Here's the pattern.
Using a worsted weight yarn, #4, cast on 6 stitches using a 4.5 mm dpn.
Simple stocking stitch for 12 inches and cast off.  Easy and quick.

I designed a smaller hat.  A bit more for  girl alpaca.
Cast on 18 stitches on a 4.5mm dpn.  Knit 2 rows or you can do ribbing of K1, P1 for the 2 rows.
Stocking stich for 4 rows, then start the cast off.
Row 1:  K2, K2tog
Row 2:  Purl
Row 3:  K2 tog

Cut the yarn leaving a long tail.  Draw the tail through the stiches on the needle, pull tight and then sew the back seam.  Attach a pompom and you are done.
The scarf is the same.  You will notice the scarf does curl into itself, but I rather liked that look.  If you wanted to, you could add tassels to the end of the scarf or two pompoms.  I opted to just leave them as they are.

For a printed version of this information you can find it here:





One more post and then..........................





Search This Blog