Friday, February 3, 2023

I made a bag

I made it a new way.  

Before I give the instructions, you can cut your fabric to any size.  14" x 16", 16" x 18".  It all depends on what you are going to use them for.

I cut my bag 14" wide and laid the fold on the 0 mark on the cutting mat.  I cut it at 20" because I wanted it deep.  The fold of the length of fabric must not be cut for this bag!!!

the fold is not cut.  

I use fusible fleece to line my bags.  Cut this the same measurements as the bag and press until it fuses well.  I find steam is not as good at this as just the heat from the iron.
On the end where the fold is, mark you fabric 2" x 2" and cut this section out with your scissors. (Click on the photo to get a better view of it.) Both corners ON THE FOLD.  Mark the center with a pin
Sew the two side seams from top to bottom of the bag.  Then take the seam and match it to the pin and sew opening closed using a 1/4" seam allowance.
The bottom of the bag will look like this when both corners have been sewn
Cut your lining the same size, but do not use the fusible fleece.  Make the lining exactly the same but leave an opening on one side for turning the bag after it is sewn together.  You can either hand sew this opening closed or do it by machine.
  
I made the handles with the fleece for extra stability.  These pieces came from the top and bottom of the quilt I had just made up.  
Find the middle of the bag and place the handle 2" from the middle on both sides.  Pin securely in place
With right sides together, pin the lining to the top of the bag all the way around.  Remember RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER.

After pinning together, making sure the handles are placed correctly on the bed of the sewing machine, stitch around the top of the bag.  Sometimes I do a fancy stitch but that is rare.  Where the handles are  it will be thick to get through, so put your walking foot on your machine.  (I also press the edge first before I sew it down.)
All finished and ready for whatever!!
Mine finished 17" long and about 14" wide.  It has a lovely deep opening and it will hold a baby quilt for gifting or maybe it's my new knitting bag!!
 




Search This Blog