Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Happy Birthday to you

Do you remember this block?

Well, I added to it.
I dug out all of my reproduction fabrics and made a few more to go with this one.
I had to add to my stash, but I only bought 4 fat quarters.  It took a few days to make them all up.  I made two blocks from each fat quarter, so the cutting went quickly.  The pressing was the thing that consumed my time.
I laid it out on the living room floor and pinned it together.  If a bunch of blues were close to each other so be it.  I wasn't going to be bothered about it.


Someone was willing to give me her opinion on it.  I heeded her advise.



I took 2 days to sew the entire quilt top together.  A week in all to make the top.  

It was Karl's birthday gift so it had to be done before the 6th.  I left other works in progress to get it done.
The top measures 50" x 80" so I'm sure it will cover him nicely when he takes his afternoon siesta.  I intend to hand quilt this one with perle cotton and use the big stitch.  I think I'll put my frame together and set it up in the living room.  I was going to "hoop" it, but then I had to move it a lot and I really don't want to do that.

BTW, in case you missed it, I found the pattern on line.  It is a freebie and is called Buttercream Twist  and we thank Kim Diehl and Martingale.


I had a thought while doing this quilt.  What if you made one block with the 2 1/2" squares in the creams and the strips in a blue and then reverse the next block?  Keep going with different blues or it could be reds, or greens, or whatever colour you chose.
Here's a little look at what could be done.  Thinking outside the box on this one.




Search This Blog