Friday, July 31, 2020

Bubble up

I was on Kawartha Quilting on Instagram and they announced "Wideback Wednesday" so I jumped at this fabric from Wilmington Prints.  The fabric is called Bubble Up, and my original plan was for backings because it has so many colours.  Then, I had this idea after making the Gettysburg quilt.
Seeing as this is Friday Freebie, this is how to make it.
Fabric requirements:
1 metre/yard of cream
1 metre/yard of colour fabric (there are options for this quilt)
For the body of the quilt:
1.  cut -- 33 -- 3" x 6 1/2" rectangles of the cream/white fabric.   
I always cut the strip 6 1/2" and then sub-cut into the 3" sections.
2.  cut -- 32 -- 3" x 6 1/2" rectangles of the print fabric.  
You can cut from all the same fabric or you can use what you have in your stash. 
The borders are cut 3 1/2" wide and I always tell people after the top is made to measure down the centre to see how long to cut the border lengthwise.  IF you are doing cornerstones, measure across the middle to find the length to cut for the top and bottom. 
I usually do the sides first and then the top and bottom, but remember I said usually.  Sometimes I do a border like the bottom quilt.  It is your quilt, you can make it how you want.
The most important thing is quilting is measure, measure, measure.  It's a real stinker if you cut that fabric short and you know you bought the last in the store.
 After all your pieces are cut, and you have counted them twice, take them to your flannel wall and start the placement.  I do it in rows.  Once that is done, I start at the top and remove them, pinning them together as I go.  I sew them one row at a time.  I do get my exercise because the flannel wall is at one end of the room and the machine is at the other end.
Once the rows are sewn, press the seams on row one to one side, row two to the other, to make the "nesting" easier.  I do not open my seams up.  Seams to one side are stronger seams! Now sew row one to row two, row three to four and continue until you are done.  The sew row two to three, four to five and quite quickly your quilt is together.
Measure the length and add your side borders.  If doing cornerstones, measure that before you add the borders and cut them.  Your cornerstones will be cut 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" and you fill need four.

Remember these directions are copyrighted by law.  You are free to use them, but may not replicate them in any way or freely distribute them.  

To print off this page, hit Print Friendly  at the bottom of the page.  It's down there under search.
That's it for July.
A hot humid month I will not miss.
Bring on August!

Search This Blog