Monday, October 8, 2018

It's just time!

I just placed another order with a quilt shop in CANADA!!  It is called Beaver Creek Mercantile and they are located in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, north of Calgary in Alberta.  This is my second order because as you know I already have in my hot little hands this kit.  Can you believe, this is the only store I found that has this kit??????  No one else made it up, just them!!
I have all the fabrics for this top
 and this amazing book, I'm going to review for you.  I've glanced through it and it is "delicious".
I have also shopped at the Jelly Roll Shop, which is now part of Hamel's Fabrics,  in Chilliwack, British Columbia.  This is the first place I look when I want something I can't find locally.
Oh dear, I went on their site and found something I like.  Trouble!!!
I shop locally too.  Always in a quilt shop, always the best fabric I can afford.  SewEtc., (I cannot feature all the fabric I've bought from them)
 on Fairview Street in Burlington 
(same for them) in Oakville are my two favourites, mainly because of the parking.
There are other beautiful stores in my area too.  Village Square Quilt Shop, downtown Burlington; The Quilt Junction in Waterford; The Hobby Horse in Georgetown.  All family run businesses.  All small businesses and that gets me to my point.

Small businesses comprise of the biggest employers in Canada.  They thrive on us, the consumer.  If they close their doors, we are the ones that are going to suffer.  We can sit at home in our pyjamas and order online at a lot of Canadian stores.  We can do day trips to a lot of them from where I live.  Quilt shops need our business here in Canada.  Please support them. You won't find a nicer bunch of people than in your local quilt shop and you get personal shopping and their expertise.  

I am not bashing the United States, but please keep your money at home.  

Now another wee story and I'm off my soap box.  Years ago in the little store I worked in, a woman came in and asked for a snippet of fabric off the bolt.  "I'm going over to Buffalo and I want to buy this fabric there."  Man, did my hackles go up!!  "I'm sorry I can't do that, but I can sell you a fat quarter."  "Oh, I don't want that much".  Well, sorry chick that's what I can do for you!!  She left and I never saw her again.  I hope Buffalo didn't have it.

And don't forget, when you travel away and support the hotels, restaurants, local businesses south of the border, you are only hurting our economy.  If you buy your groceries over the border, you are hurting our farmers.  We have an economy too which needs us.  

Shop local, Shop away, but do Shop Canadian.
and believe me
I practice what I preach.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Search This Blog