Friday, September 7, 2018

I really hate to rattle on about

about this, but some people aren't getting it!  OR they just don't care.

This issue really irritates me.  Really, really, really irritates me.

COPYRIGHT


According to Wikipedia and the Copyright Act of Canada............the first copyright law was enacted in 1921 and then it has been revised a few times.  The latest I can find is in 1997 which isn't that long ago.  Times change so the law had to change too.

You can read it here.  I'm not taking credit for it, I didn't write it, that would violate copyright law.

Copyright isn't just for play writing, music, whatever, it is also for patterns that are designed by people like
Fat Cat
Atkinson Designs
Amy Reber
Quirks and Quarks
everyone!!
or even that photo you saw on 
Pinterest that caught your eye and you think I'll just take that photo and do my own thing!!

It's against the law!

What brought this up again?

Sindy of Fat Cat had a problem.  
Posted on the Facebook page I follow was a request from someone to get a previous block because she either missed it or lost it or did something.
Someone came on and said, I'll email it to you.
YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!

It is free for one month and after that you pay a tiny wee little bit of money for it.  That's all.

If I send you a pattern via email or messenger or some other way, I have violated copyright!!!

It is so simple.  
It says right on Sindy's page
seeeeeee.......right there on the bottom!!

Honour copyright.  A lot of work goes into designing a pattern, a lot of time goes into it.
Ask me how I know. 
I've done it and given it away.
If someone asks you for a quilting pattern, tell them to buy it, just like you had to do.  

Okay off my soapbox for another year.
You know I'm going to post about this again next year.
I'm going to post until it gets through to every single person in the quilting world!!

P.S.  It doesn't matter if you change 5 things, if you change 10 things on a pattern, you are violating copyright.  You didn't come up with the idea for the pattern, someone else did.  
Honour their work,
Honour their time

Now just because you were all so good and read this right to the end,
here is a freebie pattern for you.
I'm not violating copyright because I'm giving you the link to the pattern, not the pattern.
Scroll down until you find
Click to download.........
Don't forget, you could do a sparrow, or a canary, or a goldfinch.
Whatever your little heart desires.

Search This Blog