Thursday, October 31, 2013

You know the saying

when life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Well, something like that happened to me.  I found a free pattern on the internet called Historical Blenders which I do believe I told all of you I was going to make.  I did!  Sort of.  Almost one block and it wasn't working out to the size they said.
I've never had that problem before and I got discouraged
and discouraged fast!

I put it away thinking I would take a workshop at the local quilt shop.  The book is called
Civil War Sampler (I will do a review on this) and I had a few civil war fabrics sitting around.  A few?
An understatement!

Then I started thinking.  What if??????
So I grabbed the bag of 1 1/2" strips that I had cut for the "Blenders" quilt
and I decided to sew 8 of them together
randomly
I gave no thought to this at all.  I pulled from the two bags that were lights and darks and just sewed!
I pressed the seams flat and then started thinking again!
At this point I have nothing to loose so I picked up the 6" ruler and the rotary cutter
placed the 45* angle on the middle seam and cut


Well, that looked good
 so I made another one exactly the same
and then I made another block.....two in fact
and trimmed them up more or less the same way
and
I ended up with this
I went back downstairs the same night and did the same thing again and then the next afternoon went back and did it again.
This is what I have so far.  I know I have lots of Civil War fabrics so I'm going to make a 50" x 70" quilt
 I will fiddle and fool with the blocks after I have them all made.
You can move the strip block around to suit what you want to do.


I'll keep plugging away.  This may be done by February when my long arm quilter calls to say.......you are due.
At the moment the plans are for a flannel backing.  Could be a cosy gift for someone for Valentine's Day.











Search This Blog