Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recycling.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I picked up my husband's new woodworking magazine he got for Christmas.  I read with interest the Editor's Letter.  I'm quoting here....."Woodworkers are a resourceful bunch.  We were recycling material long before being "green" became hip.  Walk into any woodshop, and I bet you'll find a scrap wood bin or two, lots of plastic containers with nuts and bolts and other hardware...........................

Could be said about a quilter's room too.  "Quilters are a resourceful bunch.  We were recycling material long before "green" became hip.  Walk into any quilter's room and I bet you'll find a scrap or two of fabric, lots of plastic containers with needles, pins, thread, templates, patterns. 

I don't know about your room, but mine is jam packed.  If the fabric isn't in totes, its on bolt boards!  Pins of every size are in containers (unmarked of course, so I have to search), shelves of magazines and books, boxes of patterns.  Three sewing machines and a serger have their space too.  One machine is probably so seized that it may never go again, but I'm not parting with it.  It is kept purely for sentimental reasons. It was the second machine I ever owned and I bought it over 40 years ago.    

I'm sharing today some "eye candy".  Scrap quilts made and given to my grands and my daughter and son-in-law.
This quilt was given to my daughter and son-in-law for their new house.  It is made from 6" squares, some of which were from an exchange I was in.  I laughed when I gave it to my daughter.  She started to look closely as she is want to do, and immediately found a square that she knew didn't come from my stash.  Then she looked for fabrics that did.  She wasn't wrong on any of them!

This is my absolute favourite quilt.  It is a "Thangles" quilt and was made in a workshop I took at a local fabric shop.  We were suppose to pick scraps from our stash and not be selective.  I only chose blues and tans.  It is terrible to think I didn't have to buy anything to make this quilt.  I gave it to our grandson for Christmas.  Size:  56" x 68"

This photo didn't scan very well.  This quilt was actually green.  One grandson loves that colour so I chose every green in my stash and made this for him.  For the inner border, I found a "border fabric" that was from one I had made for his Dad.  It was quickly machine quilted before I knew how to machine quilt. 

This quilt was made for our oldest granddaughter.  It is a crazy patch.....my way!  I made the five sided centre piece and then cut each strip 2 1/2" wide.  I randomly selected fabrics, no rhyme or reason to any block.  When I achieved the desired size, I quit! 
The back of the quilt is a very bright yellow flannel as at that time she loved yellow and blue.  I have no idea of the size as I didn't keep track of it.

This quilt is just large pieces of fabric.  This was for the youngest granddaughter.  She had moved out of the crib and into the bottom bunk bed.  She liked pink so I put in all I had at the time.
By the looks of the tote boxes in my sewing room, its time to make some more stashbuster quilts.  I believe that the quilting forum I belong to is going to start one soon.  I found a great pattern for a row quilt on the net.  It is made from charm packs, but I think I can create 8 charm packs from my scraps!

Search This Blog