Wednesday, September 24, 2014

T.h.e. backing

for the anniversary quilt.  I had a backing on a bolt tucked away in the closet and I wasn't going to waste it.  The fabric is one of those..........."Why ever did I buy it?"...but I did and it cannot go to waste.
 The tag attached to it said it was approx. 90" x 90" but when I measured it.......92" x 83".  It was wide enough, but the length wasn't there.




I had a lot of ideas.....this being one of them.  Scatter the number "50" on the back in brown, but that meant I needed two colors to do it and I would have preferred the fabric that was already there.  If I cut it off I could be in big trouble and I wasn't in the right frame of mind of figure it all out.  It would have taken a lot of math and quite possibly the use of my son or grandson's mathematical skills.
I went on the internet to see if I could find some ideas.  I did!
We didn't have a big fancy wedding.  I'm not into that.  I didn't spend money on a wedding gown.....I'm not into that either.  I bought a 3 piece wool boucle suit from the Sears Catalogue, had the skirt shortened and wore that.  I was so comfortable.  Karl wore a new suit and my flowers were absolutely gorgeous.  Pink and white roses -- funny the little things you remember.
The weather was perfect on that September day in 1965.....foggy in the morning on the way to the hairdressers, but it cleared up to beautiful sunshine and just warm temperatures.
A lot of anniversary quilts are photos from the "day".  We don't have a lot of them.  I have no idea where they are, maybe we never had them.  No, we don't have one of those fancy albums either.
Yes, I was young.  I had just turned 20 and
Karl was 31.  They said it wouldn't last
6 months.....proved them all wrong.
I opted to do the wedding invitation, once again plain and simple.  Photos we took of each other in Karl's backyard and then some really nice photos in the church and at the dinner.  
He's going to kill me for posting this one!
I did four pages -- these are two of them.  
I decided to "frame" them with the same pinkish fabric from the front.
Then a brown fabric.....the one from the cornerstones.

I cut the backing fabric 19" down from the top and put in this 12" insert.  The backing is now more than big enough, but better big than being in a pickle.







Search This Blog