Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What do you do with

a panel?

I cut them up sometimes and do my own thing.  I bought this panel when we were down on the Island last summer and I've been thinking about it a lot the last little while.  
 I decided to audition some fabrics on the wall.  I know the orange and green are bright -- to say the least -- but I wanted to cut this up and do something with it.  Those are the fabrics in stock so I decided to use them.


 I cut my blocks from the panel leaving a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around

Then I cut some sashings....... 19 1/4" x 2" and sewed them together, then I sewed them to the squares.
Well now I had this and what was I going to do next??????
Yes, one block goes one way, one goes the other.  Now it doesn't matter which way it goes on the baby in the crib it will always be the right way.
I opted for this look in the end.  I made a little 6 patch and added some bright blue to frame the top and bottom of the blocks.  Nothing on the ends.  It would be way too long and then I would have to keep going on the sides to balance it out.  Not going to happen.

Now the backing......this I've wanted to try for awhile and now I have.  I cut the fabric on a 60* angle
and joined it together.  I really wanted that strip fabric to run horizontally instead of vertically.
 I added a green and then a strip of the blue to make it wider.  It's different.  I've tried it, now I can move on.
It's finished now.  I went outside as we had a fresh snowfall and wandered around snapping photos of it here and there......20 photos, some of which were ditched.  This is the bank of snow at the end of the walkway.  Its up to my armpits now.
Now pretend this is a white sheet on a crib.......

this is one way

this is another
The photo that turned out best for the backing happens to have some snow on it....
My little yew tree is to blame for that.....

to continue with my story..........

that a certain store I frequent.........






Search This Blog