Thursday, March 27, 2014

Make it your own....


I was talking awhile ago about a little quilt Elaine is making for her new grandson.
I decided to make it up from fabrics laying around.  I chose a yellowish background and then the snail is made from blues and browns.

I didn't want the puppy, so I opted to do a flower.........the pattern from the kit I made up awhile ago.  I made that in the same brown with the same orange centre as the little quilt I made.  Then I really got started at making it my own.
When I took a look at the snail I decided that just using Pigma pen wasn't enough for the markings on the face of the snail.  As per usual, my black embroidery floss wasn't to be found when I needed it, so I picked up a Superior Threads So Fine black thread and doubled it in the needle.  I did the stitching and liked how well it did the job, so I finished up all the work over a couple of evenings.

I saw this on Facebook posted by Linda from Patchwork Fabrics in Slave Lake, Alberta.  Love the effect......but I didn't have enough fabric to do so many colors.  I opted for two......blue and green keeping the theme of the quilt.



As I started to put it together, I kind of thought the blue was taking over, but I persevered.  I didn't have much choice.  It was just about all I had on hand.

For the size of this quilt, I can't for the life of me figure out why it took me so long to put together.  There is no sewing done around anything yet!  That is going to be part of the quilting.

 I took a Friday afternoon sewing the rows together and then had to decide on the borders.  I want the blue for the binding and there wasn't enough green to do much with.  Instead of having to join pieces, I did the sides first.  I cut them:
first.......yellow.....cut 2"
second..blue.........cut 1 1/2"
third.....yellow......cut 3 1/2"
I sewed the strips together first and then sewed them to the centre.
I did cut the top and bottom the same.  Not a border I would do often.  It's different and will be a titch more attractive when the quilting is done.

Now to get a backing made........going to get a whole bunch of different fabrics and sew them together randomly............then the quilting.  I'll share with you in a few weeks.


Search This Blog