Thursday, April 18, 2013

Last year a blog

writer started a little BOM called Hello Sun.  I started it, but for some reason, just stopped.  I never went back and looked at it to see how it was progressing.
I was still on the mailing list and a note popped into my inbox about a new BOM for this year called Hello Moon.  I mentioned it to Melissa on the quilting forum and as she did finish Hello Sun ~~ and it turned out beautifully by the way ~~ she jumped at the chance to do this one. 
Well we now have four of us doing it and we are going to encourage each other on.  I selected my fabrics………………3 different backgrounds for IMG_6127 me…..and I’ve chosen my “moon” fabrics IMG_6124 so I’m off and running with it.
You cut your fabric into 1 1/2” strips and then sew them together.  I’m not going to have all my IMG_6129moons the same.  I’ll vary some of the strips as I go along.  I have to dig out more fabrics. The suggestion is grey, but that isn’t something I have a lot of in my stash, so I opted for soft yellows.  The moon that shines in my backyard seems more of a white/yellow one than a grey one.  Perhaps I should take a better look see when the weather warms up.
They don’t take long to do.  I figure I will do all the sewing by machine and then take the embroidery work  to stitch and chat.  One completed on a day IMG_6131 when nothing else went right.  It felt good to have something go right.
These are all done with “raw edge” appliqué.  I love this technique.  I just pin the piece in place and sew around it.  This time to add dimension, I sewed three times with just regular every day black thread.   I traced the features on the window at night time…………don’t think I’ll do that again.IMG_6130

Search This Blog