Wednesday, February 20, 2013

When Sherri Hisey came out

to the local quilt shop and did a trunk show, she said a few things that have just stuck with me.

“Make quilts, lots of quilts.  Put them on the beds, on the walls, make runners.”  A lady after my own heart. IMG_5401(Did you notice I dusted before I took the photo?)

She also told us everyone should have at least one 2 colour quilt.

IMG_5402  IMG_5403

I have more than this, but that would be bragging, wouldn’t it.

Then she held up a quilt and said “Wait, look at the back.”  Ahhhhh, this lady spoke my language.  There it was ~~ a not so boring backing!  Loved it.

I had to make three backings for recently finished quilts.  Okay, okay, only two were recently finished, but Robin wants one quilt today so I had to get it done.  I started with the one on top of the pile.

IMG_5409

Here it is……my drop dead gorgeous backing!!!.  Made wider with inserts that I staggered.  I thought I was so smart coming up with this design.

 IMG_5411

This is the binding and I marked which quilt it was for.  I don’t want to be too confused, you know.  I safety pin it to the selvedge of the quilt.  You never know if a pin will tarnish and you don’t want that mark on the fabricIMG_5410

Next backing was for the twin of this quilt.  It is getting that reddish colour binding and I didn’t want green on the back…..red and green?  ChristmasIMG_5413 colours to me.  I made this one simple.  I stretched the fabric by using up the left-overs from the tops.  It worked beautifully with the backing fabric I found.  And it will go well with the binding. IMG_5412 

Last one.  This is the backing for a quilt I made a long time ago.  I know I bought the backing fabric in PEI last July, so it’s been here for a few months.   A little brilliant, isn’t it? IMG_5414

It will go well with this though. IMG_5415

The binding for this one is that soft green that is the border.  The wee little lass down the road will be getting this one.  It’s for her 2 1/2 year old birthday.

The others.  Well, beggars have been begging, but there are wee ones who need quilts, so off they go.  Adding to my 20!

Search This Blog