Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The princess

As you know, our little girl loves to burrow under a quilt and have a good snooze.  I’ve caught her in the middle of our bed underneath the quilt in the middle of the afternoon, under towels, under my soft handbag.  She sleeps soundly and even softly calling her name doesn’t wake her up.
I decided she needed a quilt.  I had some charm squares lying about since the Halton Quilt Guild show last year.  It was time for them to be made up.  The line was called Max and Whiskers and I have no clue why I bought it.  I don’t like it and wouldn’t wish it on anyone.  Misty won’t know and the next time I will make her something beautiful.
This is a little tutorial for you.  It may take two days so it doesn’t go on and on and on.
I selected the squares I wanted and put them up on the flannel wall.  Pinned them together after I was happy with the arrangement and stacked the rows.
IMG_2403  I laid them on my knee with row 1 first, then row 2, then 3, etc.
IMG_2404
I started by sewing block one to block two on row one
IMG_2405  DO NOT CUT THE THREAD WHEN YOU FINISH SEWING THESE TOGETHER.
IMG_2406
You will have a little chain between row one and row two when you sew block one to block two in row two.
DO NOT CUT THE THREAD WHEN YOU FINISH SEWING THESE TOGETHER.
Now sew blocks one and two of row three together. 
IMG_2407  Continue this way until all blocks one and two in all you rows are sewn together.  It will look like this when you are done.
IMG_2408  Carefully, pick the stack up again, and starting at row one, do exactly what you did for the first chain stitching……………..exactly. IMG_2409 Be carefully not to twist your rows, take your time and remember DO NOT CUT THE THREAD………..CHAINING is what this is all about.
IMG_2410
When you are finished, your top will look like this
IMG_2412  See these little chained stitches, that is what you will have.
IMG_2413
Lay the top on your ironing board and press one row in one direction, the next row in the opposite direction.  This will make it so much easier to butt your seams.
IMG_2414  Pin the rows together and take to the sewing machine and sew your rows.  No tricks here, sorry.
IMG_2415
TIP:  When I come to the end of a row, I continue off the row for about 3-4 stitches and then cut the thread.  You will get a little chain and this tends less to unravel and your seams won’t come apart at the ends.  I do leave a good “tail” at the beginning
IMG_2417
That’s it for today.  Oops, sorry, want to see the top?
IMG_2418
Tomorrow, the borders and the backing.


We are back at Sewing Machines, etc., today learning more about our sergers.  Today it is different kinds of thread.  I'm ready.  I've been practicing.  Tell you more about that later

Search This Blog