Thursday, June 9, 2011

Holy hannah!

Southern Ontario has been hit by a heat wave.  I think it was 120* in the shade ~~ slightly exaggerated ~~ but it felt like it.  Not weather you want to be quilting in, even in the basement sewing room.

I decided to go through some quilts I have in stock.  Next week our guild is collecting quilts to send to Slave Lake, Alberta.  One of our members, Lynne by name, has been trying to find a carrier to get them out there.  I don't know how she did it, but the number one airline in Canada ~~ well it is in my humble opinion ~~ were thrilled to be asked to participate.  Lynne is finalizing all the arrangements.  When Lynne wrote to me the other night, I was jumping up and down for joy.



I imagine I'm like most other quilters.  I have quilts rolled and there they sit.  Yesterday I started to think about some of those quilts and how they can be used by the folks out west that have nothing.  So my donation increased.  Here they are.....................I know they will be appreciated.
This quilt was made for a Buck a Block.  Its a Thangles quilt and we received a kit each month for $1.00 if we had the previous month's block completed.  Otherwise we were penalized and it was (I think) $10.00.  We bought the sashing and the border fabric extra.  I tied it and put little buttons on.  They are Robin Pandolph fabrics.

I orginally made this quilt for the three grandsons when they came for sleep overs.  It was never used!  Its been rolled for a long time and now its time for it to be put to good use.  The boys are now 18, 17 and 16 so its not likely they are coming for overnighters anymore.
I found this pattern in a Thimbleberries book many years ago.  It is one of the few scrap quilts I own.  It was fun and it is also hand quilted.  I did that in those days.

 I'm not bragging about our guild. There is nothing worse than to go on a blog and read how wonderful "my guild" is. I will say that our women do have generous hearts. A few years ago one of our members lost her little granddaughter to cancer and asked all of us to make hats to send to Mac Kids in Hamilton. The response was overwhelming as it was for the quilts of Haiti, quilts for Japan earthquake relief and now this. All we do is ask and they come forth. They are a wonderful group of ladies and I'm very proud to be associated with them.





Search This Blog