Friday, April 29, 2011

Crud!

Seeing as it is the end of the week and I've sent my trivet off, I'm going to show you what I did and then what I did a second time.

I cut out my teapots and very carefully, fused the handles and the spouts................sewed them down right through the Insulbright!  I have an idea what went wrong, but I'm not really sure.  When I sewed the blanket stitch around the pieces I didn't use my walking foot, just my applique foot.  As I put each successive piece on, it puckered and the pieces didn't lie properly.



If you click on the photo, it will enlarge and you should be able to see the way the fabric was pulled in from the side.  The pot itself doesn't show how badly it laid after the stitching was done.

To say I wasn't impressed was putting it mildly.  I left it for a couple of days due to Easter and then went back to it.

This time I sewed the teapots to the background and then laid them on the Insul-bright and just did a straight stitch around the perimeter of the pot.  I used the walking foot and things turned out much, much better. 

I did both sides the same and then put the binding on after very carefully pinning all the layers together.  Here it is.  I sent along some tea bags -- famous Canadian tea -- their ad used to say "only in Canada, eh?" and this is what Karl and I drink every day. It isn't flavoured, its just plain tea. I'm no tea expert, but to me it is just perfect!  A good big mug of hot tea on a winter's day clasped between my hands -- it doesn't get any better than that.  It makes great sun tea too.  And please don't put milk or sugar in my tea............that just ruins it.

Here's the trivet.  Reversible.  I hope my swapee likes it. 


No puckering on this one and it lies flat on the table.  I tried it out.

Search This Blog