Monday, March 7, 2011

Converting

I was working on my Henrietta the other day as my fabrics have finally arrived.  I'll have photos for you in another post.

When I was going to make the blocks there were square in a square to be made.   

square in a square

I don't like the method, so I decided to convert it to paper piecing.  I do this a lot, especially if small pieces are involved and there is any chance I will wander with my thinking and mess up the block.

To do this you need to buy graph paper.  1/4" graph paper which I buy in Staples and I get the 5 pack.  It is accurate and that is very, very important.  Yes, you can buy it at the dollar store BUT (and its a big but) I have bought this, brought it home and found out that it is out. 

The first thing you do when converting is check out the finished size of the block.  In this particular case it was 4".  I drew up a square on the graph paper that was 4 1/2"

step 1 4 1/2' square


I then marked the 4" square inside the 4 1/2" square.  This will be your FINISHED size.

step 2 drawing the 4" square

Find the centres on all four sides.  You find the centre on the FINISHED SIZE.
step 4 001 drawing the lines

When you have found the centres, draw a straight line connecting the marks. Then you number them.
step 5 001 number and colour



I also coloured mine AFTER the numbering.  If it is a larger piece with lots of tiny pieces, I find the colouring helps with the placement.

I also pre-cut my fabrics.  For the larger piece in the centre I measure the square.  I add 1/2".  Therefore, I cut this one.....3 1/2" x 3 1/2".  For the corner triangles, I measure the longest side
step 4 drawing the line

I add 1/2" to this measurement, cut a square that size, then cut in half on the diagonal. 

I left the photos large on purpose.  I wanted you to be able to see how I did it.  I used pencil as these will be used in another block, another day.  Good luck.  I hope to be able to post more in the future.  Wording is always the problem




Search This Blog