Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Do you keep track of your quilts?

We are lucky in our Town.  We have a fabulous Museum that has a fabulous staff and a wonderful collection of artifacts.  I'm sure if you named it, they have it ~~ including quilts.

A few years ago the curitorial assistant at the Museum, who is also a member of our Guild, showed us some of the quilt collection.  She talked about the storage and the lack of documentation.  They have quilts, but no stories to go with a lot of them.


Signature quilt, Innerkip Prebyterian Church, Innerkip, Ontario

That got me thinking.  Why not make up a form that people could use.  I set to work and came up with a form that was simple and easy to fill in.  If you click here you can print off a copy.  All you have to do is fill in the blanks.

I've also kept copies of labels that I've made.  I don't do that as much anymore.  I take a photo now.  I kept running out of ink in my printer so that idea had to go.

I started something new this fall.  When I give the quilts to our grands at Christmas this year I'm giving them a story to go with it.  I'm adding a couple of photos too.  Photos that mean something to us.....usually a story behind them too.

Here is Cody's story.  I have Taylor's written and am thinking of the wording for Morgan's

Cody,


We know that you love black and that is why we selected the fabric for the border on your quilt. We picked it up when we were down in Prince Edward Island in September.
I called the quilt North Country. When I thought back through the years to how many times you have spent your holidays in Algonquin Park and what you have done there, it just seemed the perfect name.
We have camped under the pine trees, seen bear cubs, fed the chipmunks, and Mom took you down to the lake one night when it was pitch dark so you could see all the stars in the sky. A fantastic sight. The quilting was selected with all this in mind. The oak leaves are for Oakville where you were born.
Enjoy
Love from Grandpa and Grandma
Christmas 2010







                                             

Search This Blog