Friday, February 19, 2010

Landscapes

This is where "quilting" can be fun!  Doing a landscape.  It lets you run with your imagination and do what you want to do.  You can free motion quilt  and if you goof it doesn't really matter.

I have a few books on landscapes.  Four to be exact and I'm adding to the stack.  My favourite is by Nancy Prince.  Simple Thread Painting.  It was the first book on thread painting and landscapes that I bought.  It is still the first book I refer to when I'm double checking what I want to do......a tree, clouds, the flow of the water, the land..............its all in this book.  The book is still available through her website.









I own two books by Joyce R. Becker.  Beautifully Embellished Landscapes and Luscious Landscapes.  There are tips and techniques and gorgeous photos in both books.  I don't own her book called Joyce Becker teaches you Landscape Quilting, but I will!  I think I'll call my favourite store and see if they can order it in.  Its just a "have to have" book. 




Look at those chickens on the cover.  They are so life like.
I have a book by Nancy Zieman and Natali Sewell that I bought many years ago. In the days I only wished I could do landscapes. Its simply called "Landscape Quilts". It was published by Leisure Arts and to be honest I don't know whether it is still available. There are tips and techniques inside the pages here too. Works done from photos and very pretty pictures.




Last book I own (for now) is called Accidental Landscapes, Surprisingly Simple Quilted Scenes by Karen Eckmeier.  I have a few pages marked with sticky markers in this one, so I must like what I have read.  The rule of thirds is one of them...................breaking your landscape "down" when you start.  The sky, the water, the land  -- how much, how little of each.  Something you have to think about when you are "making a scene."









Your best friend when doing landscapes is your flannel wall.  Its like a good oil painting, standing back and looking at it.  But that's all for tomorrow.  Eye candy...........landscapes I have done.


Search This Blog