Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Oh dear

My daughter--in-law had a huge problem with a quilt.  It was destroyed by a cat fight on the bed.  It also had a polyester batting inside and eventually the batting and the cotton rubbing against each other wear the fibers down.
This is only one photo of what the quilt looked like.
Our son said it was scrap and to throw it out.
Heather desperately wanted something kept out of it, even if it was a placemat.
Karl and I set to work and as I took the rotary cutter to it, he held it straight.
We ended up with the blocks which had to be taken apart.
I salvaged 14 of them

I ended up fusing interfacing to the back and then trimming them down to 11 inches each
After a week of work, mostly done during the daytime, the blocks were taken apart.
This is just one bag of scraps.
While Karl was visiting the doctor, I ran down the road to Oakville Sewing Centre and picked up some interfacing and fused that to the back of each block.....all 14 of them.
I found the perfect fabric to join the quilt.  Not white because that wouldn't work, just a very soft beige tone with a little brown something printed on it.
After an hour of stitching I had this done.
 an evening at the machine and number two was done
and then I did the middle part.  The whole thing took me one week of time here and time there.
 I didn't want to attempt to match a very old white fabric, so on a whim I picked this up.  It worked and that was sheer luck.
I also picked up a backing and when I got home I discovered it says on the salvage......Hearts and Flowers by Lynette Anderson.  It was meant to be.  (No, it's not quite this reddish!!)

continued tomorrow.........





Search This Blog