Friday, December 14, 2012

One done, two to go

and my block of the month quilts will be finished.
This one is for our son and his wife.  IMG_4952 I machine quilted it – not the greatest job done on it – but it will do.  This is the first time I’ve quilted one this big.  I learned a few things.

I bought a book awhile ago because of this great way to quilt blocks.  I really wanted to give it a go.IMG_4953  I marked off the corners with a mechanical pencil and then just did some meandering.  As I use a piece of muslin behind my embroidery work, the centre in the quilt really “pops” right out of the quilt.  I like it. 
The book I purchased and will use again for more projects is called  “Easy and Fun Free Motion Quilting” and it’s published by Martingale.
When it came to the borders the decision on what to quilt came easily.  Only two members of this family were not born in OAKville.  All the kids, all the grandkids were born at the local hospital so putting oak leaves around was just perfect. I drew them out and then traced them on with my Frixion pen.  I was lucky this time, it did go away with the heat of the iron.  I had my fingers crossed.
The label I made especially for my kids. 
IMG_4955When I thought about each month something came to mind that was our family.  I never thought of any these things when I was designing each block.   There are definitely more memories and perhaps some day I’ll make something else to go along with it.  Something more recent to include the kid-in-laws and the grands. 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR PRAIRIE GIRL
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
My friend Irene is celebrating her birthday on Sunday. I hope she has one fabulous day!


Search This Blog