Thursday, April 26, 2012

Save that book!

I really don’t like a book that  looks ratty.  I love them to look like I just took them out of the bookstore.  I think a book should be treated with the utmost respect and they should be  treasured.
I decided when I bought 2 Lawrence Hill books a few years ago to make book covers for them.  They are both soft covered and it doesn’t take long for the corners to bend or rip.  For the smallest amount of time you can make a fabric cover to save them.  This was my first attempt at making one and thank goodness, I did progress from this. 
april for blog book covers 021This time I opted to “cushion” the cover and used a very thin batting called Thermore.  This is the same as I use in my jackets, so I just pulled out some scraps.  You can either use two different fabrics or one for both the lining and the outside.  I did both.  You will need the following:
2 pieces measuring 11 1/2” x 15 1/2” (front and inside)
april for blog book covers 026
4 pieces measuring 3 1/4” x 11 1/2” (flaps)
april for blog book covers 022For the flaps:
Lay one piece of fabric on top of the other, right sides facing and then lay on the batting.  Stitch along one long side only.  Three sides will be open.
april for blog book covers 028Trim away the batting, turn and press.  Lay one piece of fabric onto the batting, then pin the two flaps along the short sides.
april for blog book covers 031
Then place the other piece of fabric on top, right sides facing, pin in place, and sew around the perimeter, leaving an opening for turning.
april for blog book covers 033 Turn right side out and hand stitch the opening closed.
This size will fit a book that measures:
                6 1/2”                 by
april for blog book covers 036april for blog book covers 037                          9 1/2”


april for blog book covers 038 with a spine of about 1”.
Here they are.  I made two within the space of about 1 1/2 hours, making notes at the same time.
april for blog book covers 039
Wouldn’t these make a great gift?  If you don’t know what someone reads, you could put a gift card inside and perhaps some tea bags.   Mother’s Day is coming and Father’s Day too. 
I have a PDF for you, so you can print this off.

Enjoy

 It's Pay it Forward Day.  Tell us what you have done.  This is my donation to my favourite local charity.  You can email me, or leave a comment.  I'll make a list of all of them and post it soon.


Quilton

Search This Blog