Monday, August 8, 2011

We got to meet.........................

Way back in June it started with this...............


a small request to our guild for quilts for the people of Slave Lake that had lost everything.  Somewhere in that pile is this quilt.  Mostly blues all pulled from my stash and made into pinwheels.  It is a pattern from a Thimbleberries book, I've had for a long time. 

One day my friend Barbara called Karl and said have you seen the paper?  Letters to the Editor?  When I came home from being out and about it was the first thing he showed me.  Karl was so happy for me.................I was thrilled.

I googled the name and discovered there is a Donna Melvin, principal at an elementary school in Slave Lake, Alberta.  I phoned Patchwork Fabrics in Slave Lake and confirmed it.  Then I sent an email to Donna.  Well, lo and behold, Donna has family in our area..............one sister in Milton and one in Oakville (who by the way lives very close to our favourite bakery.)

We made arrangements to meet over coffee.  I phoned 3 other girls...............Lynne, who organized the whole quilt giving, Patti who is the grandma of the two wonderful little girls in the featured article  and Susan, the past president of our Guild (the new president was unable to make it).  We had a fabulous morning.

We talked about Slave Lake, the effect on the people living there, what is going to happen next.


Donna talked to Courtney and Hayley and took their email addresses so the little girls that received their quilts can email them a thank you.  They go to Donna's school.


I told Donna it was so nice to be thanked for a quilt I'd donated.  It has never happened before.  I love to know my quilt has gone to a good home and the best thing of all Donna loves blue.  Perfect for her.

Back row:

Patti, (Hayley and Courtney's grandma), Susan (past president of the Guild), Donna, Lynne (quilt co-ordinator) and Bev

Front Row:

Hayley and Courtney

The people that reside in the town of Slave Lake Alberta are doing well with a fabulous attitude. Donna is so positive. Everyone got out alive, no loss of life. Homes are gone, possessions are gone, but those can be replaced. Donna's home will be rebuilt one day. Trailers are being brought into Town for people to live in during the winter months (cause winter comes early in Northern Alberta). People continue to go about their daily lives and soon the children will be able to get back to school and things will begin to feel just a little bit normal again.
Hugs all around as we said our good-byes.  We promised to stay in touch and we will. 

I'll see you in a week.  
Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life


Search This Blog