Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Purple shamrock....................

Well, its Irish week, never mind just celebrating a day.  If you go way back in my family they say the ancestors came over from County Cork, so that means I have a bit of the green in my genes.  That's fine with me.

This is our household's contribution to everything Irish.  Its my shamrock that I bought a few years ago.  It is suppose to stop growing in the fall and take a rest, but this one doesn't.  It just keeps growing and growing.


It has the most beautiful leaves on it........................




and the daintiest of flowers........................




I really don't have any other plant that grows this well.  It loves the sunshine coming through the living-room window and it drinks a lot.............................especially its weekly cup of tea.

Last year I did a block of the month from Bunny Hill Designs.  I changed the March block to reflect more of my Irish heritage.  I actually took all my purple fabrics and picked the ones that were closest to the colour of the leaves.  (I say all because I think I only had about 5!) It turned out pretty good.   




I have a lamb there to represent the wool from Ireland.  I have my Aran knit sweater but mine came from Newfoundland. 
Okay to go off topic here for just a minute...............Did you know that each clan had their own pattern for their Aran sweater and if need be it helped identify a fisherman lost at sea?
I'm going to drag this out a bit this week.   A bit today, and then on Wednesday I'm going to post some pictures of Irish Quilts from the Quilts of Ireland Show that was held last fall in Ailsa Craig, Ontario.
On Thursday, some more Irish......no, not telling.





Search This Blog