I dug through one tote and looked for fall coloured fabrics. Even though it is a backing it still has to go with the front of the piece. I found a few pieces that would work, some larger than others. I needed something in the vicinity of 54 x 24. I preferred larger if I could do it.
While I was in the tote I pulled all the small pieces and set them aside to donate to a local charity group.
When I was done cutting, trimming, sewing together I had this
and six pieces of fabric are used. I will try to centre the top on the backing when I stitch it out. I'll have to mark it to see where to place the top. It might take a bit, but I'm going to try.
I also used a King Thread thread with a variety of colours.
I decided to round off the corners of the runner and used a metal tin lid so the cutter could rest against it.
This is how it looked when I was done
Bound and ready to use in October
I keep cutting 2 1/2" squares as soon as I see a fabric that will fit in with the brightness of the other fabrics.