Tuesday, February 14, 2017

There was an empty spot

on the wall in the living room beside the tv.  We have no plans on getting a larger tv so that spot has to be filled.
I dug out an old McKenna Ryan pattern and decided that I needed to get some border and background fabric.
Then............
I came home and decided that the background fabric was too white, too bright.....just too something so I dug through my fabrics and found this mottled batik.  I traced everything and fused it and did not like the light purple thistle flower.  It was fading away, so I dug through a box again and found the deep purple which is much better

 You could at least see them for a distance.
 Then I auditioned the fabrics I had purchased for the borders.  They were not working against the toffee cream paint job on our walls~~which I love and have no plans on changing it.
I tried the brown inner border.....
I tried a navy inner border
 and then I gave up!  It was time to go back to the store and try again.
This time I did a better job........well, Diane and I did.  These walls seem to do better with "odd" colours on them.  Bright fabrics work really well too........navy, red, deep purple.
A couple of days at the Mega Quilter and it was done.  I sewed the binding down on a Saturday evening while Karl watched tv.  I used to like these shows but they are repeats and repeats of the same thing from years gone by.  Unfortunately, there is little on tv anymore.

I could not remember what a scotch thistle looked like, so I googled an image and took the iPad downstairs with me.
and then attempted to replicate it.





SaveSave

Search This Blog