It took me until last week to come up with something for this special fabric. I want something for our front porch and I want something I've designed. I sat at EQ and finally had a pattern. I went back to the store and bought more from the line of fabric that Trend-tex has put out for our country's
I thought I could do the leaves by paper piecing, but it proved to be a challenge so all I did was the stem.
I'm going to post the directions for the leaves tomorrow so it won't be such a long, long blog post today.
After a lot of thought, I decided to use my walking foot to quilt this one. I was going to do maple leaves with an all over design, but that would detract from the banner, I was going to free motion, but I changed my mind on that.
I finally thought, why not just use the walking foot on my Sapphire. I sandwiched the three layers one evening and after the "glue" had dried I set about quilting the piece.
I did around the letters first and then added the straight lines on either side.
Then I moved over to the leaves and finally the black. If you look closely you will see I stitched a small maple leaf into the centre of the leaf.
I worked on and off on this for a couple of days.
I even put corner 'hangers' on the back instead of a sleeve. Just to be sure it hung without blowing around too much, I did the same in the bottom. The nice thing about these is, you don't have to sew them down.
A leaf within a leaf
You can see the corner hanger I used this time