Saturday, September 17, 2016

I wanted to try something


so I cut a lot of batiks up into 2 1/2" x 5" strips.
I stacked them on the work station and randomly picked them up and sewed them into rows.  I started every row with a 2 1/2" x 3" rectangle so that the rows were offset.  I started row one with a 3" rectangle and ended row 2 with a rectangle.
After a morning of sewing it was done!  I didn't spend a lot of time putting this together.  I just went for it.  (Sorry, I forgot to take the photo until I had the "quilt" on the frame.)
I had oiled the long arm and before doing a customers quilt, I thought I better put one of mine through first.........just in case.  I did learn from Jamie Wallen if you get oil on your quilt use a drop of CLEAR Dawn dishwashing detergent on the spot and when you wash your quilt the oil will be gone.  
This is the "go-to" guy for long arm quilters.  He has done some amazing videos for those of us with these machines.
Anyway, back to the "quilt".
I selected a King Tut thread for this quilt.  It is called Shifting Sands, #954 and a navy blue OMNI for the back.  This thread is beautiful.  It has a few colours in it and it just flows, something like the pantograph.
I bought a new pantograph called "Woven" and you can find it here.  Jodi Beamish designed it and this is her website.  It's CANADIAN!, so when I buy I know exactly what I'm paying.

I wanted the lines to be really close together.  The pantograph itself is only 2 1/2" wide so there are a lot of them.  I'll open it up the next time.
I want the placemats to go with the "centre piece", I made quite a while ago.  I wasn't going to do circles this time but I still wanted movement.
I placed the whole piece on the cutting mat and made the decision as to where I wanted to cut them apart.
I have four that I cut at 17 1/2" x 12 1/2" to finish at 12 x 17"


Two pieces of fabric in my stash was enough to make the bindings on the four.  


 I really love this pantograph!



Search This Blog