Thursday, May 19, 2016

This quilt was

the culmination of another quilt I saw somewhere on the internet.  This is the back of a quilt and I saw it on this blog.  I thought it was just so darn cute, but I didn't want to replicate what the writer had done for the opposite side.
Soooooooo, I designed my own using EQ.  I didn't want it extremely large, just big enough for a young one.  I ended up with 38" x 38" so it would balance nicely.
Before I printed off the pattern I wrote the "final" measurements on the picture so I didn't have to keep going back to check.  It did make it a lot easier and it is something I'll be doing again.
I also wrote on the pattern where my elephants were going to be placed.......in case a senior moment happened!
After several attempts at finding the right fabrics, I finally had them.  I have two spare large pieces that when they came home, I decided just didn't work.
I only used two fabrics for the background and changed my mind again for the elephants.  The medium grey for the elephants has a herringbone pattern, so it gives some "oomph" to the gentle giants.  It also goes really well with the one that is different from all the rest.  I auditioned everything on my flannel wall before I fused my fusible web to the fabric.  No sense in loosing anything at the cost of fabric today. 
I used my ruler for placement and it worked out well.  I kept notes on this one so I can do it again.


I had most of the quilt sewn together but I did leave this piece until all the fusing and the blanket stitch were done.  I don't like having a huge piece to navigate around when I'm sewing down the appliqué.  This is much easier.
and this is it!
My 
Elephants on Parade.
It needs to be quilted now, but first a backing.  I have a great length of one of the first grey fabrics I bought, but it isn't wide enough.  I'm hoping the light grey from the front will yield enough for a strip .
Wait til you see the quilting!  

It's a long week-end in Canada starting on Friday.  They always call it the first long week-end of the summer although summer hasn't arrived and spring hasn't either!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.








Search This Blog