Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Another one is done!

In March of this year, I made up a jelly roll quilt and posted about it here.  In the middle of April I decided to put it on the long arm and get it quilted.
The name of the fabric line was Maple Island so I stuck with the "maple" theme.  I found a pantograph from Apricot Moon called Maple Sugar


 and used that.  I found a King Tut thread that I thought would stand out on the quilt, but it really doesn't.  For the first time I can't really see the thread.  I'm not disappointed because some times things work out, some times they don't.  It did show up enough on the white strips that were in the jelly roll.
There is a bit more white/cream in this quilt than I remembered.  Not sure I'm loving it too much but it is what it is.  It seems to have an awful lot to say, doesn't it?

I set some strips aside for the binding on this quilt.  They were all the same print and I did have to do some playing around when I came to the end.  I picked out some of the strip I started with so the last strip wasn't a really short one.
I don't mind scrappy bindings on jelly roll quilts. They seem to fit right in with the design of them.

I think this is my last jelly roll quilt made like this.  It is fast, it is quick and it's perfect for donation but it is slightly off when it's finished and you can see it when you quilt it up.  Some are worse than others.  (That's all I'm saying.)
I do like the back of this.  It was the perfect find on a sale table at Oakville Sewing Centre.  I had no intentions of using flannel, but it will be cosy for fall nights.
Just to add a little note to this.  It was suggested I donate this to Quilts of Valour, Canada, but things have changed.
This quilt is now destined to Fort McMurray.


Search This Blog