Fall has arrived

Fall has arrived
my favourite time of the year

Until the next quilt

Bella Sophia

Thursday, December 10, 2015

In less than two hours

you can put together a top for a toddler's quilt.  That's it!  I actually did mine in less than that, but I had my squares all picked out beforehand.
I took the layer cake left-overs and put them on the wall to see what I had selected for this quilt.  I thought they were in some kind of order, but -- uh-uh -- they weren't.  Sooooooo
I took them down from the wall and put them in stacks of anchors, stars, fish, signals, waves, and stripes.  I thought those "signal" blocks were pretty bright so as I only had 4, I put them in the corners.
Then the stars, which I put below or above the corner blocks. Now I was down to anchors and I just put them up.
I really wanted the fish to be the centerpiece, but heck there is no centre on a 4 x 5 quilt, so I offset them "in the middle".  Now I just worked around what was there.  So your eye didn't travel to the stripes, I put one vertical and one horizontal.  Works for me!
I grabbed my camera and noticed that the two orange blocks jumped out at me.........so I moved one.
It looks better now.
Then I set about sewing the rows together.  As I completed the sewing of each row, I put a "number" in the first block so I wouldn't mess up when I had to sew the top together.
I always put the pin in the first square of each row.  
It helps with the pressing too.
I nest (butt, join) my seams, so every odd row is pressed towards the pin in block 1
and every even row is pressed away from the pin.
These are just flower head pins that I wrote on with permanent marker.  I keep them in my pin cushion near my flannel wall, so they are easy to grab.
In about 1 and 1/2 hours the entire top was put together, pressed and back on the wall.
I had two blocks left over, but never fear, they didn't go to waste.  I found a fat quarter on my cutting table and pressed it as well as I could.
I have to admit I was not amused when I went to square it up.  Slightly off, isn't it?  
I did have enough for two lengths, 10" wide which is what I wanted.  This can help to lengthen the piece for the back.  I will need just a bit more fabric on both ends.  It has to balance!
I did have a thought earlier of adding some boats or something to this one, but I really think it works just fine on its own.  
Now to buy the backing for it and get it quilted.
I bought these layer cakes from my friend Linda 
who owns Patchwork Fabrics 
in Slave Lake, Alberta.
She posted a few on Facebook for me to choose from and this was one.
The other is coming!!!








by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Search This Blog

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF