Thursday, November 19, 2015

I did it!

Anne and I have talked about fabric baskets for the store on other occasions and I thought I should deliver.  Christmas Gift Ideas sounded like a good time to give them a try
so I did!
I downloaded the pattern "Stash It" from All People Quilt, but decided to use just three pieces of fabric instead of a bunch of little ones.
I cut the bottom piece (dark purple in my basket) 5 1/2" x 30 1/2"
I cut the top piece (floral) 4 1/2" x 30 1/2"
and then sewed the two of those together.
They have to be quilted a little bit, so I did very simple stitching.
I decided my walking foot would be my guide for the first line 
and I held it right along the edge where the top met the bottom.
Then I used my masking tape -- 1" wide -- and measured off my lines to finish up the quilting 
on the top
The bottom was done differently,
but still straight line stitching
I found the centre of the purple and laid the tape from 
one corner to the center and then from the centre to the opposite corner
I did it twice and called it quits.
That was enough quilting to hold the fabric to the batting 
for this project.
I followed the rest of the directions that All People Quilt gave in their instructions.
This is the inside
a soft shade of mauve that was on the cutting table.
I cut my lining for this 9 1/2" x 30 1/2"

and this is the outside
I really like these baskets
and if I can find a heavier weight interfacing that the one I used for this basket
I will make more.
I have considered using Timtex or Peltex as I like my baskets to stand upright
really, really well.





Search This Blog