Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I had to try it....

I just had to.  Anne was going to be teaching a Drunkard's Path workshop and after we gabbed about playing with designs on EQ, I went on and played for a long......long.....time!  I had about 17 designs and then decided I was going to do this one.
When I was over at Sewing Machines, etc., for their fat quarter sale, I found the cutest owl quarter.  Only one.  Couldn't find anymore.  So I came home and played some!  I decided first of all to see how many 1/4 circles I could get from one fat quarter.  Hmmmm, not many at the size I was doing.  This is the original design I was planning on............



and then things changed.  I went back to find a fabric that would co-ordinate with the owl print and lo and behold, I found another one!
I came home and printed off the fabric requirements.  I had plans to use up scraps and it worked out well.  
Each of the blocks are cut 7" x 7"
and I have a template for you for the 1/4 circle.  Yes, you can do this on EQ also.
( TIP:  if you run this off on card stock, it will be easier to trace around.)
The sashings are cut 2" x 7"
The cornerstones are cut 2" x 2"
Background fabric.......you will need 16 squares of 7 x 7...........
 and you will need 16 ~~1/4 circles with fusible web on the back.
I found the easiest way to do it, was to cut a large piece of fusible web, iron it to the back of the fabric, trace the pattern onto the web, and then cut them out.  I used my ruler to cut the two straight sides and scissors to cut the curve.

Once you have them all fused and cut, lay the 1/4 circle onto the backing, iron them together and then take them to the sewing machine and using the strip piecing method, stitch around them all......one right after the other.  I used the blanket stitch.  I tried another one, but I didn't like it.

 Then it was time for sashing.  I auditioned two fabrics and chose the brown with the dark tan for the cornerstones.  I put the entire piece up on the wall to make sure the placement was right before I put everything through the machine.  I changed my mind on the design of this after I had the centre all put together.  I also used two different background fabrics.  I didn't have enough of one and when I make baby quilts I try to just use what I have on hand.  It doesn't always work, but most times I'm lucky.

All done and ready for quilting.  I ordered a background with owls on it.  It is a navy blue and it will also be the binding.  This is a finish me up over the summer months.






Ursula said "why sew curves, when you can use fusible web".  Smart girl, that Ursula!

Today is our son and daughter's 25th wedding anniversary.  Congratulations to both of them.
They gave a party for family and a few friends.  We had a grand old time.  Here's to 25 more!  I doubt I will be here then so better congratulate them now!

Search This Blog