Fall has arrived

Fall has arrived
my favourite time of the year

Until the next quilt

Bella Sophia

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Fini!...

and it's lying in wait for the first day of summer.
I changed my mind on the flowers and did sew the centre down, not the whole thing.......
the "ends" of the flowers are still free and I hope down the road it won't cause any problems.
Fingers crossed.
Here it is .....it all it's glory!
It isn't hanging yet because summer hasn't started........and because I haven't got a long enough stick!
Moving on......
I bought some fat quarters at a sale.  Now I have a beef........if stores are selling fat quarters, I wish they would mark the size on them.  If fat quarters come from the manufacturer they are cut in American sizes..........18" x 22".  If they are cut at the store they generally run at 20" x 22" because we do metric in Canada.  Simple request..........just mark them.
Second beef........if I had cut a fat quarter like this when I worked in the quilt shop, I don't know what Susan would have said.  She would not have been happy and I don't blame her.
Look how much is lost!
Okay that's all over with -- onto the quilt
I found a really fast quilt on the internet.  Here.
I chose from my fat quarters and got to work.  Because I wasn't using yardage I had to adjust the pattern but it all worked out.
My widths are cut 3 3/4" wide by 16 1/2" and then I trimmed the whole centre piece to 16" x 16"
I cut the sashing 2 1/2"  by the length and added cornerstones.
Then I took that little piece of fabric and put it top and bottom
I tried every piece of fabric I had in the house for the other two sides and I had nothing.
I decided to try my local store and they had nothing but I did find a very modern looking fabric.
I came back home, unpicked the blue fabric and then just went for it.  This is the end result


I am using a grey/white patterned fabric on the back and I'm going to use the pattern as my quilting design.  I hope to have enough left over from the backing to do the binding.  I do have one piece I can try and if that works I will use that.  We'll see how it goes
The Noah's Ark fabric?
Well, it turned out like this.......
both are different from the directions.  A guideline is all I needed to create both of these.
I am looking for a fabric with "waves" on it for the backing.  I think I'll do waves for the quilting too. We'll see how my search goes.


by Maya Angelou

"Sometimes a small thing you do can mean everything in another person's life. When you learn, teach. When you get, give."

Search This Blog

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF