Thursday, April 9, 2015

Oh dear, what can the matter be

I was in the bank and the young girl that served me announced she is 5 months along.  I've known this gal since she was about 4 years old.  Thrilled for her, absolutely thrilled.
I decided I was going to make her a quilt so Karl and I drove over to the quilt shop early one Saturday morning and I came home with these........
because I really wanted to make that pattern poking out between the fabrics.
this is the piece of fabric that sold me



 I set about cutting the fabric and then I placed it on the wall............
oh dear.............it had n.o.t.h.i.n.g!  It sat on that wall with no oomph whatsoever.  
I was so disappointed.
I left it on the wall for a few days and never went back into the sewing room.  I thought I would try something else but I was determined that this pattern was going to work.  The fabric was fabulous ~~ just not for this pattern ~~ but I had purchased it and I was going to use it.  I dug out a piece of turquoise fabric that has been around for 4 years.
Before I cut it up I laid the white pieces on top of it and stepped back.
It would work!  Thank goodness.
Now onto the borders.  The turquoise didn't work, the grey did, but the inner border was giving me grief.
When I was over at Sewing Machines, etc., I picked up another fabric for the inner border.  Came home, laid it with the quilt and it was a no go!
By this time I was so fed up with this quilt I made a decision.
I took the grey fabric, cut 3~4/12" wide strips, measured the length and sewed two of them on.  Then I measured the width of the quilt and used the final strip.   Why oh why did I overthink this quilt!
This I like
The backing is what is left of the borders, I've picked the thread too.
The pattern is from The Quilt Patch in Moose Jaw, Sk.
My quilt finished at 36 1/2 x 41".  A bit smaller than the original pattern,
but that's okay with me.
One little tip from this one.
The grey fabric right across the top frayed really badly.  I took a couple of minutes and setting my machine to a 3.5 stitch length I sewed across the top of the quilt.  Stopped that shenanigans right in it's tracks.
Here's my thread selection.  Yes, it's another King Tut variegated.
There is more to this story...........stay tuned!




Search This Blog