Thursday, March 26, 2015

Started in November

and on the frame yesterday.
On Tuesday, I took the top and backing downstairs to the big ironing board.
I always give my quilts a final pressing/ironing before they go over to be quilted.  This has been around for a few months so there are plenty of creases.
The next picture didn't have to be posted, but I'm a collector.  Those two little pictures on the top cabinet were "painted" by Cody when he was pretty small.  Remember those books that all you did was add water and you had a colourful picture when you were done?  Well, that's what happened.
The two little wallhangings.....one was given to me.....one was a project done with friends.  That isn't the original pattern.  I shrunk mine down.
I keep batting at the house.  Karl gives me a hand when measuring and marking for cutting.
I use a chalk line to mark it for cutting.  This is mine!  I have my own tool now.  A nice straight cut......49" across.......it's folded in half
Thread?  Which will I use.  I had two in stock that I thought would work, so I puddled them on the front.


I didn't change them.......900 is still on the left.  I love the variegation in 964, so that's the one we'll be going with.  Boy, I've used this a lot.  I think I have to get out of my box!


The back is the same fabric........just one very large propeller. Yes, they aren't windmills anymore.  It is marked now with a piece of masking tape so we know which is the top.
Anne had the pantograph already to go.  The panto is from Digitech, designed by Dave Hudson
Anne did a bit of tweaking so it would look good on a 21 year olds quilt.  I snapped this photo from the back of the quilt.

 This is the screen on the long arm.  You can follow the stitching as you look at the pantograph.  It is fun to do.

This is "Marilyn" doing her thing.  She is such a good girl.
and the plane is airborne!







Nick and Cheryl held up the quilt so Anne could snap some photos.  It is big......86" x 86"

The front

and the back.......



and thankfully, tall people who can hold it up for us.

Now to get a label made and get the binding on in time for April Stitch and Chat.


I can hear a few voices asking....why did she choose this panto for this quilt.  The fabric told me to.  The quilt design was named Tropical Windmills which was perfect for the original quilt, but this is for a young man and floral fabric wouldn't have cut it for him.
I posted a photo over on Facebook and asked my friends......if you really stretch your imagination can you see propellers?  The answer was yes, and due to the fact that the fabric is "travel" fabric, I opted for aeroplanes.  If you enlarge the last two photos (just click on them), you will see what "spoke" to me.  The hotels, the surfer, the destinations, the bill of lading.  Sometimes.........just sometimes.......you have to let the fabric speak to you.







Search This Blog