I knew this piece would have some thread embellishing on it. Embellishing gives it punch, pizzazz, oomph!
I sandwiched the piece with a fabric that I'm not too thrilled with and meandered all over the background. As you can see this is Fantastico, so aptly named. It is a variegated thread that goes from blue to green, subtly I would say............not overpowering.
Then I thought, the bird needs a wing! I found another Fantastico in my thread box, sewed around the edge of the bird and then gave him a wing.
After it was done I wish I had chosen a darker colour, but I didn't have one in stock. Live and learn
Next were the stems and leaves. I wanted a green, almost the same colour but one that would stand out a bit on the leaves............not overpower them, just give them some depth.
The last thing I did was the fence. I left it until the end as I couldn't decide how to do it. Then, I took a good long look at the fabric and the decision was made.
I found this thread in my tray
puddled it on the fabric and knew it would work.
This is a Masterpiece thread that has never been used much.
I'll have to rectify that.
I thought while writing this up that perhaps some close up shots would be nice for you, so here you go.
I decided not to stitch on the bird houses themselves. I couldn't make up my mind how to do them,
the fabric didn't tell me what to do, so I used a black King Tut thread and made circles in the "openings" and
left well enough alone.
I cut my binding and sewed it down. I used the excess from the backing for a sleeve and
while watching television in the evening I stitched it down.
It gave me a break from my knitting for an hour.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone.
I was sent an article written by another blogger by a friend of mine. It was an interesting read.....
and she has given "carte blanche" for anyone to post on their blog.
It is a long(ish) write up, but well worth the read.