Thursday, December 18, 2014

A funny thing happened on the way

to completion!
I cut all my fabrics
packed up all my gear
and headed off to
Sewing Machines, etc.,
for my workshop on
Folded Fabric Star Trivet.
I was working along beautifully,
but not happy with my results
Here is a close up of what I wasn't exactly over the moon with
the centre is off, the points are off
and yes, I know
driving by at 35 MPH you won't notice,
but I know it's there
and there it wasn't going to stay.
I came home, sat down with a coffee
and took the whole thing apart.
I worked on it for a few hours after supper
and this is what I ended up with.......
one row to go
I used my good steam iron to press everything over
along with a spritz of water and a spritz of Mary Ellen's Best Press
Crisp, sharp points!
I sewed it differently too.
I used invisible thread and only stitched right down through the middle
of every prairie point.  
I figured as you layered the pieces,
that would hold it in place.
So far so good.
I auditioned two fabrics for the binding.....
the cream didn't make the cut


Well, here is the original 

which after consideration was changed.  My points didn't turn out "spot on" because I cut it wrong.  I used my pizza pan, but it wasn't centred and some points were cut off and others were overlapping.  I know better!  I've been sewing/quilting long enough to know you centre your pattern on your work and because I didn't, I "undid" the final row.
I recut the final row with another fabric and recut.......
Wouldn't you know, I did it again!!!
So, we stopped into Sewing Machines, etc., which has a wonderful button collection and bought some great little buttons.
and then I sewed them at the tip of every star point.
Now I was happy,
Karl was happy
and it is now usable.
Yes, I know you shouldn't get your knickers in a knot about the small stuff
but the small stuff was getting to me.

Okay, now onto my next project.
I received some sad news this week from a friend 
and then yesterday 
happy news reached my ears.
Congratulations to my friend Jennifer and her husband in Australia
and to her son and daughter-in-law on the arrival of their  
new baby boy.
What a wonderful early Christmas gift.








Search This Blog