Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What shall I do?

I had 27" of fabric left over from the apron.








What to do?
I gave it a thought for second or two and decided to make "BIG" hot pads for the counter.  I trimmed the pieces up -- there were 4 of them -- and them cut them in half.  Each piece measured 13 1/2" long x 8 1/2" wide.
After stitching them together and making a big 4 patch, I layered them.  Two layers of batting, one layer of Insul-Bright and then a piece of ironing board "silver" cover fabric.  It is heat resistant and works beautifully as the back layer on hot pads and over mitts.
I did a quick bit of machine quilting to hold the layers together (this was really thick to sew through), trimmed it up with the  same trim fabric as the apron
and I must admit I cut the binding 3" to make sure it would fold over.  I decided to sew this binding from the back to the front


I have it all clipped together and ready to stitch down the next time I need something for stitch and chat or for evening work.

After I had this  all put together, I thought of an idea.  Now  I personally don't do cookie exchanges as Karl is diabetic and he has a very sweet tooth.  But if you are the kind that is so inclined , I thought this might be a nice little gift to send along with an invitation to your gathering.
I know a lot of folks do this as a yearly event with their friends.

This is an original pattern.  
If you post this anywhere, please acknowledge that the idea for this came from Quilton's Doings and provide a link back to this site.  Thank you

This will probably be the last post my BFF reads for awhile.  She is moving.....back home....to Saskatchewan.....land of the prairie skies......cattle country, wheat country, canola country.....I could go on and on.
I wish our friends the very best.  I can't wait to do that drive half way......Thunder Bay.....next summer.  Yes, I have already figured it out.

God lives in Saskatchewan
In a four house town
with a gas station and a
grain elevator.
Saskatchewan is God's Own Land.
He cleared away all the mountains and the trees
so He could see forever.
He sits on his porch and keeps an eye on the cosmos 
and listens to the music of the spheres.
And He watches the Ontario drivers zip through to Banff
as fast as they can
without even looking around.
Then He carefully jots down the license numbers 
in a book for future reference.
Karl and I are pretty safe.  We stopped every time.......
40 km south of Swift Current
for nearly two weeks
every other summer
It was glorious!



Search This Blog