Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pixie Penguin

First of all if you missed my post on Thursday it is here:
http://quilton.blogspot.ca/2014/04/warning-i-had-problems.html
I have all my blanket stitch done and I have a few tips for you and an option on the pocket.
Well, okay not a tip but a stroke of luck and perhaps a titch of genius.  I didn't like the placement of the eyes on the penguin.....they seemed so far apart and there was a titch of an opening around the nose..............
 sooooooooo,  I warmed up my iron with NO steam and very carefully pressed the eyes until they would peel away.
 I cut out new ones and pressed them into place.  I don't know whether this is "do-able" for all kinds of fusible web but it worked with my steam a seam.
When it came time to do the stitching around the pocket I did some thinking ahead of time.  I wanted the pocket to appear as if you could open it and put something in, but wanted it stitched in place too.
I opted to do the blanket stitch around the three sides
 but at the top I did a straight stitch from one corner to the other.
 I think it looks pretty good and even though I used a variegated thread it does blend into the fabric.
I tie my ends off at the back and the block kept slipping and sliding down onto my knee.  I decided to drop the foot on my sewing machine and it held the block in place until I was done.
That's it!  My block is done for this month.  
Now onto my blocks from Quiltmaker.





Search This Blog