Wednesday, February 26, 2014

and this is how it was done

Way back in January I posted my finished quilt top that had been on my flannel wall for what seemed eons!  I started it with great gusto, in October of 2013, and then Christmas rolled around and to be frank, I lost interest.
To start another block of the month or anything for that matter just wouldn't cut it, so I set about and finally after a month of do it and not do it, I got it done!








It isn't difficult to do, but it is time consuming.  I had everything cut, it was a matter of sewing and cutting.

The quilt is made by making one large block.  Two squares of one design and two squares of another design.  Simple!!  It is all scraps from your scrap basket.

The first block is actually 8 -- 1 1/2" x 22" strips.
Press it very well until it lies flat.  You may press the seams open or to one side.  I'll leave the choice to you.



 After you have the blocks pressed you lie them on your cutting mat and using a 6" ruler you cut them.


Lie the ruler with the 45* angle in the middle of the strips.  You will have four strips on one side of the mark and four on the other.


Sorry I think this photo is a bit blurry, but it's the only one I have on file.  Cut on all four sides and then you place the ruler directly below what you have cut and do the same thing again. You will have two blocks identical.


For the other block in the set, I used a 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" square in the centre.  I used 1 1/2" strips for the "logs" around the square.  I sewed two sides and then the top and bottom all with the same fabric.  Once that was done and pressed well, I chose another fabric and did the same thing again
I trimmed the block to 6" square.
I could tell you to sew your block together once it was completed
but that isn't how I made my quilt.
I completely finished the entire quilt and then sewed it in rows.  I wanted to make sure I liked the placement of the "logs" and the strips before I set needle and thread to it.

A foggy day in .........

Remember this quilt from last year?????  I took a class with Karen and once the quilt was done I donated it to Quilts of Valour

The other day I was reading Kathy's blog and lo and behold there it was ~~ well, almost.  You don't have to buy this pattern.........its a freebie.......here!
The only difference between the two is the borders around the block.  You can do that yourself if you want or just leave the blocks alone.
I have to did out some kiddie fabrics and work on this.



Search This Blog