Thursday, February 27, 2014

Almost 4 bobbins full,

but it was worth it.

I have had a panel lying about in this house for a few years.  I know where I bought it ~~ The KW Quilt Show, and it was the one in 2011.  I had great intentions on numerous occasions.  I did think a table runner, then I planned a lap quilt, then I went so far as a double, but nothing came of my intentions.
 Then I dropped over to Diane's house and she had made a chenille rug out of the one she had bought. I asked how she did it.........and I remembered!

I dug out my Stonehenge fabrics and set to work.  I also took out my very thin batting....not Thermore, my fleece.  I thought it was fusible but it wasn't.  I thought for sure I would mess up the back but..........
To make one yourself
Straighten your panel if need be and you will probably have to.  Not many of them are straight.
Trim it down.  I cut all the edges clean on mine.
Choose a backing fabric, and three more.  Cut these slightly larger than the panel and make sure they are all the same size.  Cut the batting the same size.



Now layer:
1.  Lay your backing on the table with the wrong side facing you.
2.  Lay your fleece/batting on top of the backing
3.  Lay the next three layers right side up on top of the other layers, lining up the edges.  Pin the edges
4.  Lay your panel on the top and pin in several different places.  I used flower head pins as I was going through many layers.
5.  Run a straight line from the top right hand corner to the bottom left had corner.  I used a washable marker. It should be visible.
6.  Change your needle in your sewing machine to a denim needle or a 90/14.  You are stitching several layers and you need a good needle.
7.  Place your walking foot on your machine.  It makes all the difference in the world when sewing layers together.
8.  Use a good thread and pre-wind 3 bobbins.
Stitch the entire length of that line from outside the corner of the panel to the bottom.  Make sure you run off the panel.

IF YOU CAN
move your needle over so that your lines are spaced 1/2" apart.  I measured my needle distance while my walking foot was on my machine to make sure I had the right width.  You want 1/2".
IF YOU CAN'T
move your needle you will have to mark the lines on the panel
It will take awhile to sew.  I took several breaks as I found my eye was starting to wander.  I sewed for maybe an hour the first time and believe me I didn't get very far in that hour! Then I did it in intervals during the day.    

Once all the sewing is done, you will be cutting in between the stitched rows.
I have a chenille cutter, but you can use a pair of sharp scissors.  Sharp is the operative word here.  You will be cutting three layers -- preferably at one time.

I didn't trim until all the sections were cut.  Once I thought they were all done, I trimmed off as straight as I could.  It is a bit crooked, but I'm not worrying about it.
                   
Once I trimmed I cut the binding and sewed it on right away.  I didn't want any stitching to come out.  I'm sure it could happen.
Here it is, almost ready for the floor.  I'm going to sew some Scootgard onto the corners on the back, so I don't go ker-plunk in the middle of the night.
     
When you are all finished, pop it into the washer and dryer and the piece takes on a whole new look
Untitled

The type of cutter I have was the only one available years ago.  Now Olfa has one and I think it may be a lot better than this one.  Someday when I have a 50% coupon for Michaels I will pick one up and give it a go.

Guess what's coming on Saturday?????

It's March the first, so Fat Cat will have their pattern up.  Don't forget to download it and if you don't have February's yet, time is running out.




Search This Blog