Monday, January 6, 2014

The hectic season is

all behind us now so it's..........

out with the old and in with the new.  I couldn't sleep one night so I fiddled and fooled for a few hours and came up with a new look..........actually one from a few years ago, just a bit different than it was back then.  I think it's a nicer color now, but the braver you get with a computer, the more you will play.

This column is all about left overs from 2013.
I had Karl drive me out to a nursery (Holland Park) to buy a new plant for us.  I do love a poinsettia, but only at Christmas.....not on Valentine's Day....not at Easter.....but I hate to toss a perfectly good blooming plant on the compost.  We bought something new.  A plant I've been looking at for a long time.
It is often called The Christmas Rose but commonly called the Helleborus.  I have admired this every time I went grocery shopping and walked through the floral department.  Just one of those plants that said buy me and we did...........finally


I thought I had all my sewing done, but alas, I didn't.  I had nothing to put Cody's girlfriend's gift card
in, so instead of making one more stocking I cruised the internet looking for a pouch bag.  I found one when I "googled" and lo and behold I had the instructions in an old magazine on my shelf.  How lucky is that.  It was in the Spring 2008 issue of Quilts and More.
I did the pocket a bit differently.  I sewed strips together and then I did straight line quilting using the walking foot as my guide.  Sorry the color is really poor in this photo.

When it came time to quilt the back I opted to not do straight lines as I didn't know whether everything would line up after I squared each section up.  I didn't spend hours on it.  I started at the top and followed around and around until I reach the centre.  I moved my needle over as far to the left as I could and used the edge of the walking foot as my guide.

This is it!  I put a little piece of velcro on the pocket and then covered up the stitching with a button. I purchased a pretty date book to add to the gift and the gift card was tucked inside the zippered part.
I hope she liked it.  I haven't heard anything......where have all the manners gone......

The last one I made for Karl.  I bought him a new frying pan and as you can see it has a metal handle.  
It may get hot, it may not, but I grabbed some fabric and made a pot handle sleeve.    It took me a few minutes and two attempts, but it fits.

 A BIG P.S.     

Well, all that work to discover the handle doesn't get hot!  Oh well.

Have I got a goodie for your tomorrow.  See you then!!







Search This Blog