Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My quilt is put together!

I am so thrilled with this quilt I don't know how to express my excitement over it!  I sure hope my daughter loves it........well, maybe not, cause then it would stay at our house.

I decided I wanted these blocks to float.
 The largest floor surface in my home is our living-room after I move the furniture out!  That meant the coffee table, the chesterfield, the two chairs.  I left the rug!

I played with the blocks until I was happy with the placement.  They are not in the order they were given and I did make more.




I had a supervisor!!!!

I had purchased black for the sashing and the border but what to do for the cornerstones.  You don't have to use them, but it lines it up a whole lot better for me.  I made the decision to use another shade of black.                                                                                                                                                        
It turned out great.  I cut the sashings 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" and sewed them to the sides of all the blocks first.  I then sewed the lengths together for inserting between the rows.  The cornerstones were cut 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".

Let me try to explain this.  The sashing is only between the blocks.  It is not on the ends of the rows or on the top or bottom.  I hope this photo shows you what I mean......it is one of the corner blocks.
I purposely made this photo larger so you can see what I mean.  Notice the cornerstone and the inner border are the same......the sashing and outer border are the same.

When it was all sewn together and it took me 2 full days of cutting and sewing, I took it out to the front lawn and snapped a photo.  The blocks just pop right out of the quilt.  I did use the cornerstone fabric for the inner border and the sashing fabric is the outer border.
As I write this column the quilt is at Robin's where she is performing her magic.  I have no idea of the thread colour or the panto.  I left it all up to her.

Odd I should be writing about an anniversary quilt today.  Karl and I are celebrating today.  48 years......

Okay, it's back home. I have no idea when Robin sleeps but here it is.  No binding as that will take me nights and nights of sewing.

IMG_8158

The label is done too so better get going on that binding!!!!


Search This Blog