Thursday, August 8, 2013

They love me now.

Last week-end ~~ Saturday to be precise ~~ the weather was perfect.  Sunshine and a little breeze.
I started the day with load #1 of laundry and then decided this was the day!  The cutting mats were being washed and dried.
I took them all outside along with a bucket of warm soapy water and a clean facecloth.  I laid them everywhere!
cutting mats 001
    cutting mats 003
cutting mats 004
I really cleaned them and then rinsed them off.  After that I laid them all over the place making making sure the surface I chose was flat.
I had one board that has this hills and valleys in it.  I don’t know how it happened.  I take really good cutting mats 009care of the mats.  Age?  Maybe.  It’s the first one I ever bought.
I laid it on the picnic table, grabbed two buckets of water and
cutting mats 010 I left them there until the top was dry.  It took awhile because when I rinsed them, I didn’t wipe the water away. I let them air dry.  In this photo you can see where it has dried and where it hasn’t.  It did flatten it.  I don’t know whether this would work for all boards, but it worked for mine.
cutting mats 008
I did my turntable mats too.  I also did the back for each of them.  I’ve noticed that little threads and bits of fabric can creep inside and I like my mat to rotate smoothly. 
When they were all dry – and it took awhile – I brought them back in the house and stored them on their flat surface.
cutting mats 011
  



Don’t dry the mats in direct sunlight.  Find the shade and leave them there, but keep an out in case the sun creeps around to where the mats are. 
Make sure they are flat.  I found lots of spaces that worked for me.
Don’t put them on your driveway.  Asphalt and mats do not get along, neither does the heat from the asphalt.
Treat your mats kindly.  They deserve it.
Now to change the needle in my sewing machine…….

Search This Blog