Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sometimes a small thing

you do, can mean everything in another person’s life.
Words to live by!
We wrote a letter and sent it out to 20 people.  We asked for donations of pillowcases for the people in High River Alberta…………a town devastated by floods.  Well, it snowballed.
We collected 137 pillowcases
004 24 quilts of various sizes
008
hats, scarves, mitts, socks
015
all boxed up and on their way to the folks who we know will cherish every article. 
I do want to show you one quilt that we received.  I couldn’t take individual photos of everything but this one caught my eye.
011
 012
These are two panels!  It was the cutest quilt I’ve seen in a long time.  I’d love to know who donated it and where she bought it. 
To those that donated and I don’t know who most of you were, my sincere thanks to each and every one of you.  Your generosity amazes me.

Extra special thanks to Janet at the Quilters Garden Patch in Bronte for letting us use her store as a drop off point and to my neighbour Kevin who is paying the shipping costs to get everything to Okotoks...............two more special people to thank and they are both named Linda. 

Patchwork Fabrics in Slave Lake Alberta mentioned a little something on her Facebook page and between us we decided pillowcases would be just fine to send.  The shipment was originally slated to go to Linda's store.  By the way, if you save your quilting magazines, there is a fabulous article in Quilters Connection Spring 2012 issue about Linda.  This is where Lyn sent Oakville's quilts way back in 2011.
The other Linda is in Okotoks and owns the quilt shop there.  Rumpled Quilts Skins.........our shipment is heading her way as she is only 20 minutes north of High River and it will save Linda in Slave Lake from carting all our donations down.  Now her car has room for more!

I sincerely hope I never have to be involved in something like this again.  I have to give all the kudos in the world to the people who donated, who gathered, who shipped, but there are folks out there who need some lessons in giving.  I remember from the Slave Lake campaign the difficulties we had finding someone, anyone who would take our quilts and other necessary articles out west.  It was like banging your head against a wall.  To those of you in the industry.............transport industry be you a courier or otherwise, I honestly and sincerely hope you never ever have a tragedy in your life.  I strongly believe in "karma" and that's all I'm saying!

Search This Blog