Monday, March 4, 2013

Right out of my..................

you thought I was going to say “mind”, didn’t you?  No, it’s comfort zone.
I have done maybe 3 scrappy quilts in my quilting lifetime.  Not many.  I’m not comfortable pulling little bits of fabric and hoping it turns out okay.  I need definite.  I feel really good when I can pick up a pattern, pick the fabric, cut, sew…..you know like the quilt from the other day.
IMG_5548 My friend Betty suggested I work along with her making a pattern called “Dem Bones.”  I’m using up my fat quarters, darks, lights, mediums all mixed up together.  I thought I better practice.
I had this stack of 4” x 5” 30’s prints.  While Charleen worked away on someIMG_5573 pillowcases I popped the fabrics up on the flannel wall………….randomly, I might add…..and came up with this. 
IMG_5572  

Not bad, not bad at all.  I took a photo so I didn’t goof up with placement and set about sewing everything together.
I knew it wouldn’t be large enough with just the 48 fabrics in the centre……soIMG_5575 I auditioned border fabrics.  Nothing, absolutely nothing worked!  I couldn’t find anything for an inner border until I started to think back to 1930.  Then it hit me….muslin!
I found a small piece in the sewing room and put it up.  It worked.  Still no outer border though.  Then another brilliant moment.  Look how it ended up.
IMG_5579  I’m really happy with how it looks.  I plan on using a dark fabric for the binding.  I have a few squares left over from the stack and I plan on doing 4 patches with them.  I’ll show you the quilting on this one tomorrow along with the one I posted yesterday.
One more baby quilt on the stack!

It's Mystery Monday!  I have my clue done from last week and I'm waiting p-a-t-i-e-n-t-l-y for today's.IMG_5671 - Copy

Search This Blog