Friday, February 1, 2013

Did you know

that if you start cutting a project with one ruler, you should continue all the cutting with that ruler? OlfaRulers
that the edge of your ruler over time is not true?  Every time you roll that rotary cutter along the edge you are taking a teensy tiny bit away.  It may be time to invest in a new one.

that threads come in various thicknesses?  They do.  superior thread There are numbers on spools of thread. 40 is fine and 30 is thick…………..well not really thick.  Therefore the higher the number the finer the thread.
that the thickness of thread can affect the 1/4” seam allowance?  Use a new ruler and check your seam allowance if you have purchased a new brand of thread.  You may have to do some adjusting.

there is a difference between “pressing” and “ironing”.  To press, you place your iron down on your fabric and do not move it.  Ironing is what you do on your husband’s shirts.  Not me, though.  I quit that job when he retired.
you should keep spray starch at your ironing board?  It makes your fabric “behave”. starch3 I use it constantly.  I do have Mary Ellen’s Best Press in stock, but usually I just use the stuff in the spray can.

that a calculator is your best friend.  I use mine all the time.  I don’t have a metric mind.  I still think in inches, yards, etc.  But when I purchase I buy metres.  3” difference that’s all it is, but it makes a load of difference in lots of yardage.
So here is your math test for the day…..run and get the calculator.  calculator
Pattern calls for 4 3/4 yards of the main fabric.  How many metres do you need?  A metre is 39”.
The answer is…………………ah-ha……I’ll tell you on Monday! 
I worked in a quilt shop for many, many years and I learned very quickly how to do this.  I learned a lot of tips for quilting while I worked there.  My boss was very generous with her knowledge to her staff and her customers.

there is a "Mystery Monday".  There is!  It's right here and it's just starting and it's one that is affordable.  I'm going to give this one a whirl.  I'm on the hunt for fabrics.
http://thisandthatpatterns.typepad.com/
Very special day in our house today.
Someone is having a birthday.
We're having salmon today because that seems to be a favourite food.
Don't think we'll have cake though.
May have some cheese later on as that is a favourite too.
Happy Birthday Misty.  

IMG_3005




Search This Blog