Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Here I go again…..ranting and raving

about copyright!  Well, not a full on rant just speaking my piece
Last Friday I posted my BOM for the month of October.  I have no idea how many people download the pattern every month……….it could be 5, it could be 10 – if I was famous it might be 25.  I don’t care.  I got a lot of pleasure out of designing this BOM and I’m thrilled to bits that even one person saw it as something they were happy to do.  I wanted to make something for my kids that was only me……….and me alone……from start to finish and that’s why I designed it.
I read a lot of blogs in a year and one of my favourites is here:  http://blog.ajpadilla.com/
I’ve made a lot of Angie’s patterns and I honestly hope that every time I’ve featured one on here I’ve told you who designed the quilt.  That’s only fair.
There are dishonest people in this world and I’m telling you I get really upset with them.  It is disgusting, disrespectful and ~~ well, I could go on and on.  Unless you have taken the time to actually make a quilt pattern from start to finish I don’t think anyone has any idea the time you spend on it.  I have the greatest respect for quilt designers.  Its a long hard task to get from start to finish.  Not only the designing, writing the instructions, making the samples,  but the proof reading.  None of us want errors going out in our work.
I would like all my readers to go back up to the link and click on it.  Then I want you to find this column by Angie……….

Halloween around the corner again  October 2nd, 2012

You may have to scroll down, you may not.  I’m writing this on Thursday and posting it the following week. 
I don’t think any of my loyal readers would ever do to me what happened to Angie,(you never know though) but now you know why so many of us put a watermark on our photos. 
Regardless of what people think, taking things from the internet and passing it off as your work is still a violation of copyright. Posting patterns and giving them away for free is just plain wrong!
Respect our work, respect us and give us the nod when you show our work.  If you want to use our work, contact us and ask it it is okay.  It takes one minute, one minute, that’s all and probably not even that.

I had this column all finished and then on Monday I received an email from another blogger.  I follow her blog that way.  Its a darn good  blog and one I thoroughly enjoy reading.  (I should list her so you can follow along too.)  I'm leaving you with a link so you can pop  over and read what she has written.  http://quiltingtizzy.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/full-on-rant-ahead/#comment-4223
If you don't want to read the whole thing -- I think you should -- at least read the second to last paragraph.  Sheryl has written exactly how I feel as do thousands of other bloggers.

Boy, its good to know I'm not alone.  Yes, somedays I think its just me....................

Search This Blog