Friday, June 1, 2012

An afternoon’s work

The last time I was in Sewing Machines, etc., I bought a jelly roll.  It was from Fabric Palette out of South Carolina.  It was browns, blues, pinks, yellows and I thought…………….a little girl.
There are 20 strips to the roll and that would be right for a wee one.  I already had a 40 roll pack at home destined to be made for a boy sometime soon.  I better get it done, before the backing is sold out at my local quilt shop.
I spent the evening marking and pinning the strips together and then sat one hot, hazy, humid afternoon downstairs and sewed it together.
This is what I had when I was done.  Tooooooooooooooo long and too narrow.
IMG_2725
All wasn’t lost.  I took it apart in the middle and lo and behold, I now have two baby quilts.  They measure out at 25” x 32” and a new born will fit under this until ~~ well I know not when.
IMG_2726   Its been so long since we had wee ones around us.  Brandon will turn 20 in September and Morgan is 12 in October.  I remember when…………………
I took a wander around the yard that same day and things are really starting to bloom.  Karl’s peas have finally started to show some life.  We’d like to pick before our holidays, but Kristina and Peter may benefit from them instead
IMG_2719  These little beauties are coming through the fence from our neighbours.  I just like them and would love them in the garden, but the chief says “no way”, so I guess I won’t be.
IMG_2721
These are the champions and they won’t be around for long.  We have two peony bushes in our front garden.  The original plant was at my granny’s house.  For that reason alone, these are the best, the very best in our garden.  Everytime I look at them I can see us at my granny’s sitting in the huge kitchen, looking out at her vegetable garden.
IMG_2722 (2) This is our poor old clematis.  Her sister thrives, but even tea and tea bags left at her feet, don’t help her.  Karl has added compost, given her fresh earth and still she struggles.IMG_2723
We won’t part with her though.  Its just one of nature’s flukes that she yields beautiful flowers and the plant is nothing to look at.
Another week over and gone.  Lots for next week and don’t forget the fifth is just around the corner.

If you live locally I have a suggestion for you.  On the 9th of June the Oakville Museum, the foot of Navy Street, will be launching their new exhibit,  “Bridesmaids Revisited.”  Launch time is 1:00 pm and some of my family are going down…….the bride, the maid of honour, perhaps a grand, and me.  Will you see this dress there?
klvaj 001
Mark you calendars


Search This Blog